View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Sound effects 

Post Sound effects
I know this game is still extremely early in its design but you need to start thinking about adding a few key sound effects, even just extremely simple ones. Sound is an important game-play device.

In your newest video you mentioned how a lot of people are confused when they first play due to being constantly out of energy. Just a simple jet-pack rumble would instantly let someone know when they're using their jet-pack. Sense of scale and speed is also a problem; adding landmarks to the terrain is one aspect of fixing it, but just a simple wind sound when you get up to speed that possibly becomes more intense the faster you go would add immensely to the feel of the game.

There's plenty of creative-commons licensed sound effects to choose from just to start with:

http://www.freesound.org/people/thatjef ... ds/128075/

http://www.freesound.org/people/warwick ... ds/115759/

I have no idea how hard/simple it would be to add these effects and make them mesh with the rest of the sound effects but its just a thought that would add enormously to the overall feel of the game.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:49 am
Project Free Fall Developer

Post Re: Sound effects
Thanks for the links, I already have a pretty large pool of royalty free sounds to pull from, but I'll certainly cruise around there a bit.

As for the finer bits of the game, someone described Project Free Fall as being in a tech demo state, and I found that to be a very apt description. There will be sound cues for pretty much everything. As I've mentioned before, the game is expanding in multiple directions simultaneously and when something gets addressed, it's normally due to convenience at the time. Until all the pieces are in place with regards to the movement system, I'm wary of investing too much time into aesthetics like sound cues, but I'll try to incorporate a couple in future updates.

Sound specifically is one topic that I feel outweighs graphics. When sound is done right, it can make even the humblest graphics very convincing. With that said, you can expect a huge emphasis to be placed on sound as things progress.

"It's a weird feeling being borderline addicted to gaming and not having anything to play that I can tolerate at the same time." -DejZant

"No longer are you justified saying that an idea in science is not true because it doesn't make sense." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

@Saccaed for updates and randomness...

Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:34 am

Post Re: Sound effects
Ignorance wrote:
Sound specifically is one topic that I feel outweighs graphics. When sound is done right, it can make even the humblest graphics very convincing. With that said, you can expect a huge emphasis to be placed on sound as things progress.

ok, good to hear that you already understand the importance of sound design.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]